Western Stoneware History
In 1906, five Illinois potteries, one Missouri pottery and one Iowa pottery were purchased and became Western Stoneware. Western Stoneware then had 7 plants which were: Macomb Pottery Co. & Macomb Stoneware (began in 1880, plant 4 & 3), Monmouth Pottery Company (began in 1892, plant 1), Weir Pottery (1899, plant 2), White Hall Pottery,
Clinton Stoneware Co. of Clinton, Missouri (1898, plant 6) and Fort Dodge Stoneware of Fort Dodge, Iowa (1859, plant 7 : Known by various names).
Though the buildings of plants were sold or destroyed by fire, to date these potteries were never sold off and remain owned by Western Stoneware since their merger in 1906.
Plants 1 and 2 are still around today. Plant 2 is now owned by a dog food company and Plant 1 is owned by the City of Monmouth and used for the city's water tower.